We are sometimes requested by saviours how to decide on between free vs premium WordPress themes. What are the benefits and downsides? In the event you too had these questions, then you definitely’re in the fitting place. On this article, we’ll focus on free WordPress themes vs premium WordPress themes (professionals and cons).
Professionals of Free WordPress Themes
First, we want to point out that once we say free themes, we imply free WordPress themes which can be listed within the official WordPress.org Themes listing.
We DO NOT suggest customers to obtain and set up any free themes which can be distributed by different unreliable sources.
The largest advantage of a free WordPress theme is the price, free. It lowers the barrier of entry to beginning a weblog.
Nevertheless listening to the phrase free makes many individuals cautious. Why would somebody provide you with a free WordPress theme when others are promoting premium themes? What’s the catch?
Typically folks assume free themes are low high quality. It’s fairly the opposite.
Strict Overview Course of
Free WordPress themes are literally held to a better high quality normal. All themes within the official WordPress theme listing undergo a strict theme assessment course of.
There are some very proficient of us within the theme assessment workforce who study and check these themes earlier than they’re included into the listing.
You’ll be able to see this guidelines of the theme assessment course of.
Free WordPress themes are examined for normal compliant code, assist for normal WordPress options, high quality HTML and CSS, safety, privateness, and many others.
As you’ll be able to think about, it takes proficient builders to construct a high quality WordPress themes that get authorised within the official listing.
However why are they giving it away totally free?
There are many advantages of giving and sharing.
It helps theme builders sharpen their expertise as a result of through the assessment course of, the theme assessment workforce audits their code and counsel enhancements.
It additionally provides them an opportunity to make their theme obtainable to a big consumer base the place folks can use it, give suggestions, and counsel enhancements.
Different benefits are constructing repute as a talented developer, constructing a portfolio, getting paid jobs for personalization of these free themes and even develop customized theme for purchasers.
So whereas the free themes are undoubtedly good, there are some disadvantages.
Cons of Free WordPress Themes
Disadvantages of free or premium WordPress themes will be very subjective. What one individual would think about an obstacle, is probably not a reason for concern for a lot of others.
These are some widespread disadvantages of utilizing a free WordPress theme:
- Restricted assist choices – Free WordPress theme builders provide assist by WordPress boards, however they don’t seem to be obliged to answer to assist queries.
- Restricted Options and Performance – Regardless that free themes assist most traditional WordPress options, lots of them don’t provide additional options like creating buttons, utilizing shortcodes, create touchdown pages, and many others.
- Not so Distinctive – Free themes are utilized by a number of web sites and blogs, so your web site won’t have a novel design. Additionally there are normally restricted choices to customise the visible look of free themes.
- No Obligation – Free themes are distributed with no warranties, so if one thing goes unsuitable, you might be just about by yourself.
In the event you use a free theme, and it doesn’t have a selected performance that you simply’re in search of (please don’t depart a 1 star score). You didn’t pay something for this theme.
As a substitute should you ask properly or make a small donation, the builders are more likely so as to add that function in.
Right here’s find out how to correctly ask for WordPress assist and get it.
Professionals of Premium WordPress Themes
In contrast to free themes, premium WordPress themes can be found for buy from quite a few third-party WordPress theme retailers and marketplaces.
Extra options and customization choices
The largest benefit of a premium theme is that you simply get extra options and customization choices.
As a result of competitors within the premium theme business, theme retailers are all the time making an attempt to supply extra options at decrease costs.
As a buyer, you get themes that comprise choices like drag and drop builders, shortcodes, a number of layouts and templates, and limitless coloration decisions.
Assist and Updates
Premium WordPress themes include common updates and assist.
Primarily as a result of these theme retailers are literally earning profits vs doing it totally free.
As a result of there’s a value related to premium themes, they’re much less steadily used when in comparison with free themes.
To not point out the customization choices provide the means personalize your theme.
Combining the 2, your web site will stand out and look distinctive.
Cons of Premium WordPress Themes
Not all premium themes are good.
Listed here are some widespread points that may be an obstacle.
- Poor Code – Some occasions chances are you’ll find yourself shopping for a premium theme that appears fairly however has poor coding requirements which may make it incompatible with some plugins. Primarily as a result of these themes don’t must undergo a strict assessment course of.
- Too many options – To be able to promote extra themes, theme builders can add too many pointless options into their themes. You’ll in all probability by no means use all these options, however they’re nonetheless there making your web site gradual.
- Crossing over into Plugins area – Typically WordPress themes can cross over into plugins area, providing performance that they don’t seem to be supposed to supply. For instance, creating customized submit sorts, shortcodes, and different issues that will disappear as quickly as you turn theme
Find out how to discover premium themes which can be actually nearly as good as promised?
The simplest option to discover a good dependable premium theme is by shopping for it from one of many trusted theme retailers and builders.
The 2 well-respected premium WordPress theme retailers that we suggest are: StudioPress and Themify.
For drag and drop web page builder, we suggest utilizing Beaver Builder.
You can even try our showcase sections for extra theme retailers that we like and belief.
Know what you might be shopping for
Do not forget that when you find yourself buying a premium WordPress theme, you aren’t hiring that theme store or developer to set it up for you. You additionally don’t have an unique license and theme developer doesn’t provide any guarantee.
Most good theme retailers offers you entry to their documentation and assist boards the place you may get extra assist if wanted. This preferential assist is definitely what you might be paying for.
Any good theme store ought to have a great assist system, documentation, and assist obtainable so that you can arrange your theme.
I’m confused… How Do I Selected?
When chosing a WordPress theme in your website you must ask your self a couple of questions.
1. Do you really want numerous options, customized theme admin choices, sliders, and different goodies in your web site?
2. Are you able to troubleshoot WordPress points by yourself otherwise you need assistance with them?
3. Would you like an expert trying theme that’s not quite common or you might be tremendous with a fundamental format?
If you’re simply beginning out with a private weblog or household web site, then a free WordPress theme could be adequate in your wants. Right here is our listing of 43 beautiful free WordPress blog themes that will help you get began.
However, if you’re a small enterprise, then we’ll suggest you to go together with a paid theme. It provides you the additional customization options and choices whereas supplying you with the peace of thoughts that assist is on the market must you want it.
Find out how to Get Began With WordPress
If you’re new to WordPress and usually are not fairly positive find out how to get began, then try our step-by-step information on find out how to begin a WordPress weblog. It’s going to stroll you thru establishing your first WordPress web site like a professional.
You can even see this information on how to learn WordPress in a week (or less).
We hope this text helped you learn to select between free vs premium WordPress themes. You may additionally wish to see our listing of 24 will need to have WordPress plugins in your web site.