Not too long ago one in every of our readers requested us to supply some WordPress stats, info, and analysis to assist persuade their boss on why they need to use WordPress. Although WordPress is the preferred web site builder on the earth, typically recognition alone is just not sufficient for customers to make up their thoughts. On this article, we have now compiled an final checklist of WordPress stats, info, and different analysis that may make it easier to persuade others to start out utilizing WordPress.
The Fundamentals: What’s WordPress?
WordPress is an open supply software program that enables customers to make an internet site. It’s out there for obtain as a free software program and could be put in on any WordPress internet hosting firm.
It’s vital to not confuse WordPress (the software program) with WordPress.com which is a hosted resolution. To be taught extra, see the distinction between WordPress.com vs WordPress.org in our side-by-side comparability.
It began when two customers of a running a blog software program referred to as b2/cafelog determined to take the software program in a brand new route. The concept was coined by Matt Mullenweg who was then joined by Mark Little and collectively they launched the primary model of WordPress on Might 27, 2003.
Since then, WordPress has developed from a easy running a blog software program to a CMS, web site builder, eCommerce platform, and extra. To be taught extra, see our article in regards to the history of WordPress.
WordPress is a neighborhood software program and 1000’s of customers from everywhere in the world have contributed to it by submitting code, fixing bugs, translating, testing, and serving to others use it.
Let’s check out some WordPress stats and info to see how WordPress helps individuals do nice issues on the web.
How Fashionable is WordPress?
WordPress is immensely fashionable and is utilized by hundreds of thousands of individuals everywhere in the world. Listed below are some numbers to place issues in perspective.
- WordPress powers greater than 30% of all web sites on the web.
- It additionally holds almost 60% of CMS market share. No different website builder software comes shut.
- WordPress powers web sites for giant title manufacturers together with Disney, Sony, Fb, and extra.
- 14.7% of prime 100 Web sites are powered by WordPress.
- Greater than 22% of all new domains in the USA are working WordPress.
- Every day greater than 1014 WordPress websites and 496 WooCommerce shops be a part of the highest 10 million web sites tracked by W3Techs.
Plugins are like apps in your WordPress web site. You’ll be able to set up them so as to add new options to your website and prolong its performance. To be taught extra, see our information on what are WordPress plugins and the way do they work?.
Listed below are some mind-blowing info about WordPress plugins, which present simply how huge the WordPress ecosystem is.
- There are greater than 50,000 free WordPress plugins on WordPress.org plugin listing alone.
- three of these plugins are put in on 5 million+ web sites.
- 19 top WordPress plugins are put in on greater than 1 million web sites.
- The most well-liked eCommerce plugin, WooCommerce is put in on greater than three million web sites with 43 million all time downloads.
These stats are from WordPress.org plugin listing alone. Many plugin builders promote premium variations of their plugins from their very own web sites.
With a wholesome plugins ecosystem, it means which you can add customized performance to your web site at a fraction of the price of customized growth.
Themes management the looks of a WordPress web site. These are WordPress particular web site design templates which you can set up in your web site to alter its look.
There are millions of free and paid WordPress themes out there providing WordPress customers an countless mixture of design, format, coloration schemes, and options.
- Themes had been first launched with WordPress 1.5 again in 2005, with the primary new default WordPress theme referred to as Kubrick
- Similar to plugins, there are each free and paid WordPress themes which you can set up.
- WordPress.org’s free theme listing has greater than 5,800 free WordPress themes.
- In line with Builtwith, Genesis theme framework is the preferred theme utilized by 17% of internet sites analyzed by their service.
- 1000’s of themes are offered by Industrial WordPress theme retailers with a median value of $40 per theme.
WordPress is probably the most generally used CMS software program on the earth, which additionally makes it a standard goal of hacking makes an attempt, DDOS assaults, malware, and trojans.
- In line with Sucuri, a number one web site safety firm, 83% of all CMS based mostly web sites that had been hacked in 2017 had been working WordPress. This quantity isn’t stunning contemplating that WordPress holds 60% of CMS market share.
- Sucuri additionally reported that 39% of hacked WordPress web sites had been utilizing an outdated model of the software program. That’s why you need to at all times use the most recent model of WordPress in your web site.
- Practically 50% WordPress websites are affected by a safety vulnerability brought on by an outdated or poorly coded WordPress plugin or theme
- Round 8% of WordPress websites had been hacked as a result of a weak password.
You can also make your WordPress website as safe as doable by following some fundamental safety finest practices. To be taught extra, see our full WordPress safety information for step-by-step directions.
Usually the stats above trigger WordPress to get a nasty popularity, however the actuality is that WordPress itself is just not insecure. WordPress core goes by rigorous safety audits, and it’s safer than many different platforms on the market.
The one fault WordPress has is that it’s fashionable which results in stats like above.
WordPress has an enormous consumer base unfold throughout everywhere in the world. It’s utilized by not simply companies, but additionally governments, colleges and faculties, non-profits, and extra.
As an open supply challenge, WordPress is pushed by a worldwide neighborhood of customers. Because of this anybody can contribute to the challenge in many alternative methods.
- WordPress translation neighborhood has it totally translated into 56 languages, partially translated in dozens extra.
- In 2017, WordPress communities around the globe organized 128 WordCamp occasions, in 48 nations, and offered 39,625 tickets.
- In 2017, Native WordPress communities organized 4,379 meetups in 73 nations
If you wish to contribute to WordPress, then see our information on how you can become involved with WordPress challenge.
The WordPress Financial system
WordPress has a thriving billion greenback ecosystem that creates 1000’s of jobs everywhere in the world. This additionally contains freelancers, builders, and corporations that promote WordPress associated services.
- On the time of writing this text, freelancer.com web site alone had 564,010 WordPress jobs posted out of those 13,680 had been open.
- 1000’s of WordPress jobs are at present open on many fashionable freelancing web sites.
- Common hourly fee for WordPress builders could be wherever between $20-$100 per hour relying on their experience and job at hand.
- A customized WordPress theme with its personal distinctive design and plugins can value $10,000 and it might enhance relying on challenge’s necessities.
- There are a whole bunch of small and enormous companies, businesses, and builders promoting WordPress associated merchandise. See our checklist of probably the most influential WordPress companies and corporations and what they do.
We hope this text helped you uncover some new WordPress stats, info, and fascinating analysis. You might also wish to see our article + infograph on 25 interesting facts about WordPress.