A couple of years in the past, WordPress sprung into life. However it was a child and imperfection reigned supreme. Many options that we love now had been both non-existent or in improvement part the place they had been riddled with errors. One such characteristic was the WordPress template system, which has come of age and now seems to be like nothing it was, say, 5 years in the past.
Previously, it was inconceivable for WordPress customers to replace their web sites with out shedding customized styling. If you happen to’ve been utilizing WordPress for lengthy, you know the way tiring and infuriating this was. Many individuals had been compelled to repeat all their customized kinds to a doc earlier than altering themes. Afterwards, they had been compelled to spend hours on finish importing the customized kinds to the brand new themes.
Folks had been losing time left, proper and middle to not point out some web sites broke after the brand new modifications. And this was the norm for fairly someday till WordPress theme frameworks had been born. The beginning of WordPress theme frameworks ushered in a brand new future for WordPress themes by including flexibility and altering a number of different features of the WordPress template system.
In right now’s publish, we are going to demystify the WordPress theme framework. We’ll look into:
- What’s a WordPress theme framework – the few issues you might want to find out about WordPress theme frameworks
- Benefits of WordPress theme frameworks
- Disadvantages of WordPress theme frameworks
- Examples of WordPress theme frameworks
- Do you have to select a WordPress theme framework?
- WordPress theme framework sources
By the tip of this publish, you should have a crystal clear understanding of WordPress theme frameworks you’ll be glad you caught round. Please include me to the following part.
What’s a WordPress Theme Framework
A WordPress theme framework is nothing however a primary albeit well-coded dad or mum theme. The main distinction between a framework and a standard theme is you want a toddler theme so as to add customized styling with the previous, which isn’t crucial with the latter.
If you happen to create a toddler theme to your dad or mum theme, you’ve gotten each proper to name that individual dad or mum theme a WordPress theme framework. Nevertheless, it’s best to notice that not all dad or mum themes may be good theme frameworks, however all frameworks may be nice dad or mum themes. However earlier than I am going forward of myself, let’s us see what WordPress says about theme frameworks.
WordPress Codex gives two meanings for the time period “Theme Framework”:
- A “drop-in” code library that’s used to facilitate improvement of a theme – A drop-in code library will not be and may by no means be put in or used as a theme. As an alternative, a code library is included to a theme utilizing the functions.php file. Examples of frameworks that qualify as code libraries embody Hybrid Core, Redux Framework and Choices Framework.
- A stand-alone base/starter theme that’s supposed to be forked into one other theme or else for use a dad or mum theme template e.g. Thematic. (Our publish concentrates on this definition)
In easy phrases, a WordPress theme framework takes care of performance and shops the bottom code, however/and requires a toddler theme for additional styling. A single framework can be utilized to energy many alternative web sites. The Thesis 2.zero framework, which powers over 57,000 WordPress web sites, is a working example.
As a developer, you possibly can simply develop your individual WordPress theme framework (because it’s only a primary WordPress theme) and use it to energy your individual private initiatives or serve it to the complete world. Now that WordPress theme frameworks don’t sound like mysterious gifting from Asgard or the twelve (12) gods of Olympus, let’s have a look at the professionals and cons.
Advantages of WordPress Theme Frameworks
- Time-efficient – WordPress theme frameworks speed up the process of development since they come prepacked with starter code. This means, as a developer you don’t need to code your theme from scratch. Just pick a framework of your choice and build your designs on it.
- Faster page load speeds – Most WordPress theme frameworks load a lot faster than typical themes. This is because frameworks are generally free from heavy graphics and junk code. The code quality of WordPress theme frameworks is generally good compared to most stand-alone themes.
- Support – All (or most of) WordPress theme frameworks including the free ones come with lifetime support. You will get answers to most of your questions in the support forums or on the developers’ sites.
- High web standards – WordPress theme frameworks are written by diligent WordPress developers following strict web coding standards. Other than that, frameworks are peer-reviewed, which means you get the best standards and more awesomeness. Lastly, most developers comment-out their code, which helps you to modify anything with ease.
- Easy to upgrade – On top of getting a lifetime of updates, WordPress theme frameworks rely on child themes, which let you keep all your custom changes when upgrading.
- Community – Popular WordPress theme frameworks have huge communities of like-minded people. Having a community by your side as you develop your online business is always a great plus.
- Ease of development – Some frameworks ship with massive code libraries. Some frameworks come with drag and drop interfaces that remove the need for programming knowledge. You don’t need to be a pro developer to craft amazing themes using a WordPress theme framework. As a novice, you can create a professional WordPress site in no time.
- Increased functionality – WordPress theme frameworks come with built-in functionality including widgets, extended functions and so much more. Often, frameworks provide more functionality than normal themes not to mention they (frameworks) are way easy to customize and extend.
- Plenty of design freedom – If you pick the right WordPress theme framework, you can develop any design you set your mind on. You can create simple blogs thro’ to dynamic portals with multiple layouts. Once you understand the workings of your framework, you will be able to achieve so much more than just simple blogs!
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO) – You cannot ignore the value of SEO in online marketing. Your online business will benefit greatly when you optimize your website for search engines. Most WordPress theme frameworks have built-in options for search engine optimization.
Everything that has pros comes with cons as well. Let’s look at some demerits of WordPress theme frameworks.
Disadvantages of WordPress Theme Frameworks
- Cost – While there are a few free frameworks such as Thematic and Cherry Framework, the majority of WordPress theme frameworks are not free. You either pay a one-time fee or a recurring annual fee. In some cases, you might even be forced to pay extra to receive updates and support. Prepare your budget in advance by doing some comparison shopping but then go for a framework that suits your needs.
- Time to learn – Each WordPress theme framework is unique – they are coded differently. Any framework comes with its own unique set of functions, filters and hooks, which means you have to invest time to learn if you’re to take full advantage of the framework. Nonetheless, once you learn the ropes, you will be coding child themes like a pro.
- Framework limitations – WordPress theme frameworks are not flawless. Each framework has its own limitations that might force you to overwrite core files to accommodate your needs. This calls for vigilance on your part during the shopping process.
The merits of WordPress theme frameworks outweigh the demerits by far, which should motivate you to proceed to the next section.
Examples of WordPress Theme Frameworks
Genesis Framework By StudioPress
Genesis is the selection framework for a lot of an enterprise. StudioPress, the developer, declares, “…Genesis is the muse of any sensible WordPress design“, and right here is why. The framework boasts solely the most effective SEO, responsive HTML5 design, high of the world safety, almost instantaneous updates, straightforward to customizations, plenty of widgets and a number of format choices, and so forth.
1stwebdesigner.com gave Genesis a total score of B+ in an article looking for to search out the most effective WordPress theme framework. Genesis is appropriate for novice and superior builders alike, and you may get its full energy for a one-time value of $59.95 bucks solely.
Get The Genesis Framework
Thesis 2.zero Framework
Powering over 57,000 WordPress web sites throughout the globe, Thesis is making fairly a reputation for itself. This framework stands out for being easy and easy. The most effective half is for a one-time price of $197 bucks, you may get the Skilled Plan. This contains the Thesis 2.zero framework, host limitless domains, a lifetime of updates & e mail assist, entry to member-only boards, a basic responsive pores and skin, alluring social triggers skins, the personified pores and skin, Mailchimp & AWeber optin bins, social media sharing bins, the developer toolbox and extra.
It’s also possible to go for the $87 Primary Plan that leaves out some options and helps just one (1) area. With nice touchdown pages, customized 404 error pages and customizable topography, Thesis is precisely the framework you might want to leap begin your on-line enterprise.
Get Thesis Framework
For a free WordPress theme framework, Cherry Framework is absolutely spectacular. It’s “…essentially the most scrumptious WordPress framework“, in keeping with CherryFramework.com and I are inclined to agree as a result of it’s absolutely responsive, straightforward to put in, has regular updates, the included shortcode performance makes it straightforward to increase the framework nevertheless you need, it contains Bootstrap assist, there are helpful widgets and a ton of different components. I simply downloaded my copy of Cherry Framework and I can’t wait to present it a journey.
Get Cherry Framework
Headway WordPress Theme Framework
Headway was constructed with three folks in thoughts: the Beginner, the Design, and the Developer. To place it one other method, Headway was constructed for the individuals who need to flip their “uncompromising tastes” in design right into an actuality no matter their design expertise. With a ton of top-end options and advantages, this theme framework provides you with precisely what you might want to construct a web site that displays your persona without writing code. That’s proper, Headway is all drag and drop.
If that wasn’t sufficient, the blokes over at Headway Themes have thrown in a few templates to sweeten the deal and to make sure you don’t begin with a clean canvas. No one likes beginning with a clean canvas. Aside from that, the Headway framework is 100% responsive, HTML5 designed, search engine optimization optimized and fairly extensible. Give your enterprise the contemporary breath of life it wants for under $59.
Get Headway Themes
Whole Drag & Drop WordPress Theme Framework
Crafted proper right here at WPSaviour, the Whole theme is a clear and fashionable WordPress framework designed for a number of functions. The Whole framework may also help you to create all the pieces from elegant blogs to inform websites and on-line shops simply to say just a few. The framework comes with an intuitive drag and drop builder that permits you to create pages with totally different layouts. On high of that, Whole comes with an extension pack that provides you with extra customization choices.
Options at a look embody a totally responsive format, fashionable design that options impeccable CSS3 animations, baby theme assist (clearly – that’s what makes it a superior framework), the oh really easy Visible Composer Drag & Drop Web page builder, search engine optimization, nice assist, and extra. Checkout extra Whole options.
This theme framework is actually bursting on the seams with helpful options. The whole is the most effective promoting WordPress theme round right here, and for a small value of $55, you possibly can have a Whole answer to your design woes.
Get Whole – Responsive Multi-Function WordPress Theme
There are a whole lot, and even 1000’s, of different theme frameworks on the internet. Different famed WordPress theme frameworks embody:
- Thematic Theme Framework
- PageLines Drag & Drop Framework
- Themify Framework
- ZOOM Framework
At this level, you possibly can inform what a WordPress theme framework is. It’s also possible to choose the fitting framework for your enterprise. However, do you have to select a WordPress theme framework over a typical WordPress theme?
Ought to You Select a WordPress Theme Framework?
Effectively, all of it depends upon your enterprise wants. Your expertise with WordPress doesn’t matter for everybody can get a framework that goes with their ability degree. If you wish to begin or modify an easy weblog, it’s finest to go along with a premium WordPress theme. If you happen to want a robust framework for a giant web site, you possibly can select any of the frameworks as an alternative. Moreover, when you change your code and different components of your web site often, a framework is your only option.
Take time to grasp your particular wants to find out the answer (framework or typical theme) that can swimsuit you finest. Total, WordPress theme frameworks have a higher hand over regular WordPress themes by way of safety, flexibility and performance.
A WordPress theme framework might be the software you might want to take your enterprise to the following degree. You can’t overlook the various advantages of utilizing a WordPress theme framework versus a standard theme. On the identical time, don’t go investing in a framework when all you really want is a premium WordPress theme. When all is claimed and accomplished, I want to name your consideration to our very personal Whole Drag & Drop WordPress Theme Framework.