Not too long ago, one among our customers requested us the query what’s a WordPress theme framework? Earlier than answering her query we did a fast search, and the outcomes have been shocking. There was not a single complete article that defined what’s a WordPress theme framework. Majority of the articles have been websites itemizing the highest free WordPress theme frameworks or WordPress theme frameworks in contrast and many others. Then there have been some theme framework web sites rating among the many prime. On this article, we’ll do our greatest to reply questions like what’s a WordPress theme framework, what sort of theme frameworks exist, why do folks use WordPress theme frameworks, benefits and downsides of utilizing a theme framework, must you use a theme framework, and lastly what’s our choose for the very best WordPress theme framework.
What’s a WordPress Theme Framework?
The time period WordPress theme framework usually refers to a code library that’s used to facilitate improvement of a theme. Within the outdated days of WordPress, there have been some essential issues with the way in which how themes have been developed and maintained. There was no great way of upgrading WordPress themes with out dropping all of the customized styling choices. There was no solution to forestall copying and pasting of the identical performance code in all themes. Whereas these two points may not seem to be an issue to a median consumer, these may be disastrous for a couple of causes. What in case you realized that the identical code that you simply had been utilizing in all your themes had a safety exploit. Much more necessary, what if this theme was one thing that you simply publicly launched for others to obtain and customise. Sure, that’s chaos ready to occur. The core staff and neighborhood determined to repair the problems talked about above by introducing the idea of Mother or father Theme and Baby Theme.
WordPress theme frameworks are meant for use as a father or mother theme template the place all of the performance resides. Builders can then create a baby theme so as to add customized styling whereas leaving the performance facets of it to the framework. This permits for a centralized location the place all of the capabilities are hosted. If the core improvement staff resolve to deprecate a WordPress perform, or there’s a bug present in a particular theme framework, then this can be very straightforward to push out an replace with out modifying something the kid theme has. This technique means that you can maintain the “framework” of your website sturdy with out modifying the way it seems to be.
What sort of Theme Frameworks exist?
Nicely there are Free one and paid ones… Okay severely, there are a couple of sort of frameworks that exist. There are entire drag & drop frameworks like Headway Themes that empower customers to create the whole lot visually with none data of code. Then there are pseduo-drag drop frameworks like Pagelines and Thesis. These frameworks permit customers to tug and drop pre-define sections (just like how WordPress widgets work). Clearly anybody can outline customized sections utilizing the accessible hooks and filters supplied by the frameworks. Then there are theme frameworks which are stuffed with choices. Themify and most others fall on this class. Lastly, there are the theme frameworks which are constructed for builders to get a head begin with out the litter and bloat like Genesis by StudioPress.
Why do folks use WordPress theme frameworks?
The primary motive is to hurry up their improvement. Theme frameworks drastically scale back the event time. The event time is improved as a result of all theme frameworks provide quite a lot of performance and customization choices, so the consumer doesn’t need to code the whole lot themselves. These options can vary anyplace from (drag-drop performance, sliders, search engine marketing widgets, and extra). As an alternative of making a theme from scratch and modifying all of the recordsdata, creating a baby theme may be so simple as creating a brand new fashion.css file and customise a couple of capabilities utilizing the capabilities.php file.
What are the benefits and downsides?
Like with most issues, there are benefits and downsides to utilizing a WordPress theme framework. Let’s check out each.
- Neighborhood – Hottest theme frameworks have an enormous neighborhood behind it. This makes it a lot simpler to get your assist questions answered.
- Ease of improvement – As we talked about beforehand that utilizing a theme framework can drastically scale back the event time and make issues simpler over the long term.
- Constructed-in performance – Theme frameworks comes with built-in widgets, and extra performance.
- Code High quality – Usually theme frameworks are peer reviewed, so it’s more likely to comply with all greatest practices.
- Upgrades – The flexibility to improve with out dropping any styling performance of kid themes is a good plus.
- Studying Curve – Most frameworks have their very own hooks and filters. To make the most of the complete energy of the framework, you have to familiarize your self of the framework particular lingo. So your first few baby themes would possibly take you longer simply since you are studying issues.
- Pointless Code – Frameworks include tons of built-in performance which you will not use. This isn’t such an enormous deal as a result of it doesn’t straight affect you.
- Framework Limitations – Usually frameworks have limitations. Typically to realize tremendous customizations, you may need to override core recordsdata or submit a patch to be included sooner or later updates.
- Value – Most theme frameworks are usually not free. There’s both a one time charge or an annual charge to obtain updates and assist.
Ought to You Use a Theme Framework?
Though there’s a studying curve, they usually price just a little bit of additional cash, in our opinion you need to use a theme framework. Additional time, they velocity up improvement time. It means that you can comply with business requirements. Final however not least, you get nice assist from the creating staff in addition to others who’re a part of the neighborhood.
We hope that this text helps you perceive what’s a WordPress Theme Framework, and in case you ought to use it or not. Should you suppose we missed one thing, then please tell us within the feedback. If you’re utilizing a framework in your website, then tell us within the feedback which one.